I crocheted a baby sweater about 1 year ago from Linda Permann’s book “Little Crochet”, but didn’t finish it. The sweater is called the Boat Neck Sweater, and in the book she uses white, orange, and blue. I went with grey, purple, and white and like the way it came together. This is my first attempt at crocheting clothing and although it isn’t something I would give as a gift, I hope to use it in the future.
This is my first attempt at making hexagons. I just picked fabrics that I like and went for it, with no real goal or recipient in mind. I really like the way it came together, but may make some modifications for the next project.
This is the last item that I made for K&M’s baby girl. It is a crocheted version of their Siamese cat, Malcolm. This is my first attempt at crocheting a cat, and it turned out pretty well for a first try. K loves it and has displayed it proudly, so that’s the important part. The pattern is from Ravelry, it’s free, and easy to follow.
Continuing on with the gifts for K&M’s baby girl, I appliqued some onesies. The fabric is from Fabricworm and is called Chick Chick by Mod Green Pod. K has been very involved in poultry research, so I wanted to incorporate some chickens into the gifts. I hand sewed the fabric onto the onesies, and I think they turned out really well. They also have the pink and green that will be in the nursery.
My good friends K&M are having their first child, and I am so excited for them. They know it’s going to be a girl and I already got the nursery colour details from K (pale purple, pink, green, and yellow), so I got started on their quilt.
For the quilt top, I found a great FQ pack from Fabricworm by Jessica Swift, called Preeti in pink. I also purchased the custom bundle Boardwalk, and used Robert Kaufman Kona cotton jelly roll in white. Jessica Swift’s Peacock Feathers in Taupe is the backing (K loves peacock feathers), and Michael Miller Dumb Dot in Charcoal is the binding.
The pattern comes from the Quilting Quickly II class on Craftsy. It recommends using all jelly rolls and then you can get 6 small squares from each 6 strips, but because I had FQ, I could only get 2 small squares from the shorter 6 strips I cut. It made it a bit more tedious, but I really liked the fabric I used.
This is probably the most complicated quilt I’ve done so far, since there were many seams to match up, but I think it turned out great. I can’t wait to meet K&M’s little one and see her with this quilt.
I’ll be sharing another project I did for K&M later.
It was almost two years in the making, but the circle quilt is finally complete. Back in April of 2010, Julie of Jaybird Quilts blogged about her Circle Along quilt making the cover of “Quilts and more” magazine. She offered kits in her shop and I took the opportunity to buy one. Finally, this week, I set to work on this quilt. What took me so long? Well, I was busy doing other things, it was a pretty large project, and circles were new to me. Sometimes new skills can seem daunting. After signing up for some Craftsy classes (Quilting Quickly II, in particular), and building my confidence with other projects, I felt ready.
The quilt measures 70″x90″. It uses all Freebird fabrics from Moda and is quilted with simple diagonal lines. It’s a great pattern and fairly quick, since it uses layer cakes.
I have more projects coming up, including another baby quilt and some onesies.
I finally made a new quilt! Another friend is having a baby and the sex is going to be a surprise, so I wanted a fun, unisex quilt. I found the plus quilt from here and knew it would be a quick project and something I hadn’t tried before. I used various fabrics from my stash and found it to be pretty easy, although it was tricky making sure everything lined up. On this note, I’m thinking about taking some online courses from Craftsy so that I can improve technically. Pretty much all I do is self taught, since I learned some basics from a friend, so I’m thinking I would benefit from more instruction on the ‘proper’ way to do things.
Anyway, back to the quilt. The backing fabric is Modern Whimsy Sheep Park and it is perfect for M. M and I were lab mates doing ruminant research together, so the sheep fit with our scene. I quilted it using a wavy line and bound it with Dumb Dot in charcoal. This is my first official binding since my first quilt (which was supervised). Normally, I just fold the backing fabric around to the front, but I wanted to do the charcoal dots on this one, so I machined the binding onto the front and hand sewed it onto the back (trying to machine sew it onto the back was a disaster). This was also my first time hand sewing and I found this video really helpful. The hand sewing was my favourite part, believe it or not! It was so relaxing and fun. I may need to do more binding this way.
So, there is my latest quilt. It was full of firsts and I feel like I learned a lot. I hope M and his wife really like it!