I crocheted a baby sweater about 1 year ago from Linda Permann’s book “Little Crochet”, but didn’t finish it. The sweater is called the Boat Neck Sweater, and in the book she uses white, orange, and blue. I went with grey, purple, and white and like the way it came together. This is my first attempt at crocheting clothing and although it isn’t something I would give as a gift, I hope to use it in the future.
This is the last item that I made for K&M’s baby girl. It is a crocheted version of their Siamese cat, Malcolm. This is my first attempt at crocheting a cat, and it turned out pretty well for a first try. K loves it and has displayed it proudly, so that’s the important part. The pattern is from Ravelry, it’s free, and easy to follow.
Since my last post about infinity scarves here, I made another scarf using a bulky yarn from Bernat. I used the same pattern and like it much more as a soft and thick scarf.
My other project was the Divine Hat from the free pattern here. If you are new to crocheting, or just new to making adult hats (as I was), I will include some links that I found useful. The first is how to make an adjustable ring, which you will need to start this hat. Next, this hat uses the stitch fpdc (front post double crochet), which has instructions here. At the end of the pattern, there is also the stitch bpdc (back post double crochet), which is explained here. Finally, the pattern suggests H and J hooks (5 mm and 6 mm, respectively). I only had 5 mm and 6.5 mm hooks, so on the body of the hat, I used the 6.5 mm (K). This didn’t seem to make any difference in the finished product, but I was trying to crochet a bit tighter than normal. In the end, the hat is really comfortable and warm. I added one round of a lighter pink yarn for a bit of detail, but the spiral stitches turned out great. I really recommend this pattern, especially for beginners.
I realize it’s been awhile. I’ve handed in my thesis for review, so I have a bit more time now. After I took a couple days to recover from the stress of writing, I got back to work on the L quilt. Pattern for the zig zag quilt is here. Friday evening I finished sewing the strips together and then completed the quilt top.
On Saturday, I basted the quilt using a medium loft batting and some minky fabric as the backing. I will fully admit that although I love the feel and look of minky fabric, I despise working with it. I had a terrible time trying to secure it while basting and it is so slinky, it’s really hard to position. Also, when you cut it, there is a mess of fluff all over. I’m torn about whether to use it again. I quilted simple horizontal lines beneath each strip and then wrapped the minky around for the binding. I’m quite happy with how it turned out. More pictures can be found here.
I then went to work this morning completing a crocheted baby hat to match. The pattern can be found here. Login is required to view the pattern. I tried to match the yarn with the quilt and added a cute little square of grey to the top.
Remember these booties from this post?
Well, I found the pattern I used! It’s from Knit and Crochet Today and the pattern can be downloaded for free. You need to sign up to access it though. It is found here at pattern 3: “Crochet “Suede Baby Booties” Designed by Candi Jensen.
I feel so much better now! Enjoy!
I tried something new and I’m not sure that it was a success. I found a crochet pattern for baby booties that looked easy enough, so I gave it a go (I can’t find the pattern to share). There was no distinction in the pattern for right and left feet, so both booties look the same (except for the colour, of course). Here’s the problem: I was going to give them away to a friend that is having a baby, but I’m not sure if they would fit or if I even made them properly, since I don’t have any baby feet to try them on. Plus, they look kind of weird to me, so I don’t want to give someone wonky booties. These booties may stay with me until I have little baby feet to put them on to. Oh well. I do love looking at them though. They are so little! More pictures can be found at my Picasa album here.
—Update— I found the pattern! Check out this post from March 4th.
While studying in the Netherlands this summer, I found myself yearning to do some crocheting, but I didn’t have any supplies. After much searching and some translation, I was able to find a hook and some yarn, which I put to use with this pattern from Crochet today! This website has a ton of tips and patterns, many of which are free, and I quickly went to work. I was basically using whatever yarn I could find, so the colours were a mess, but it was something to do and I enjoyed keeping my hands busy. Plus, when the temperature dipped in the evenings, this afghan kept me warm.
When I returned home, I decided to make a proper afghan for our living room, which has yellow walls with white and charcoal gray furniture. I kept a similar scheme to the one in the pattern, and used a pale yellow, white, cream, gray, and black. It took me a couple of months to finish, but I’m really glad I stuck with it. It’s the perfect length and the width is enough for two people. It has quite a bit of weight to it as well. I would really recommend this pattern. It was easy to follow, makes a beautiful afghan, and it’s free!