iPhone and HTC Desire Case

This past fall, A got an iPhone and wanted me to make him a case for it.  We went fabric shopping together at Fabric Land and he found a classic herringbone wool.  We decided on a sleeve decide after a couple failed attempts at making a pouch with a button closure.  Plus, if the phone is ringing, a sleeve will provide quick access.

I started out by measuring the phone’s dimensions and then adding about 0.25 inches all the way around for seam allowance.  I took the iPhone length and doubled it (plus the seam allowance) and cut a piece of herringbone to that length (the width was only the iPhone width plus 0.5 inches).  I did the same with a lining fabric, which in this case is a muted plaid suiting fabric.  I sewed the fabrics together inside out (like a pillowcase) and then flipped it right side out and sewed up the hole (if you make the hole on the long side, it will look better later).  I then ironed it out to make sure it laid flat and folded it in half, ironing again.  I sewed up the 2 sides as close to the edge as possible, leaving the end open.  It is a good idea to back stitch a few times at the beginning and end of the edging, to ensure a secure seam.  Now, if you had your hole on the long side when you pulled the fabric right side out, you will find that your stitching up the sides at this point will cover the stitching you did to close the hole.  If your hole was on one of the short ends, it will, unfortunately, show up right where you slide the phone in, making it a lot more noticeable. If you slide the phone into the sleeve and find it a bit too loose, you can always stitch up the sides again closer to the phone to make it snug.  I find it better to start loose though, and go from there.  If you use thread of a similar colour (I used brown), it really isn’t noticeable.

Here is the phone case I made for A.  His barber liked it so much, he’s put in an order for the exact case.

For my HTC Desire, I decided to go with something a little different.  First, make sure you measure the phone, because the Desire is a bit smaller than the iPhone.  I took my measurements and did the same (adding 0.25 inches all the way around).  This time though, when I put my fabrics together inside out (ie. patterns together), I also added a piece of batting on top.  This way, when I turned it inside out, the batting was in the center and there was a bit of cushioning to the case.  I used the same fabric for the exterior and interior.  I bought the fabric at a little shop in Arnhem, Netherlands and love the pattern, but I have no idea who the designer is, since it was scrap.  I used white thread for this case.  My only issue is that since I was making it for myself, I wasn’t very picky, so I ended up leaving some of the selvage intact, and I made the hole to pull the fabric through on the short edge.  So, when everything was done, I found that the selvage and the stitching from sewing up the hole are right where I slide the phone in.  It is quite noticeable, but I’m ok with it.  Lesson learned though.

Here’s my phone case (I’m taking the picture with the phone, so no ‘phone in sleeve’ photos):

xo Saree


Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: